Saturday, December 5, 2009

I spent the late hours of last night recording and jamming. It seems I always start off with and idea to do something and get sidetracked,in a good way, into something else. The result was an epic 30 minute song that pushed my boundaries of what I can do live. I feel sometimes that I am too repetitive and wanted to see how much I could stray from that. Now out of 30 minutes the song will eventually go down to 10 or 15 minutes. A lot of good ideas arose. I played the electric guitar,which is an on-and-off-again thing for me, but I'm finding it's place among all my other instruments.
Porcupine Tree is a big influence on the direction I want to go. Not as heavy metal or to rock sounding but the way in which songs are composed, epic feelings, with effects on guitars and voice. Also involved in this song were Tablas, dumbek, conga, bass, electronic beats, acoustic guitar and singing. The goal is to produce something that encompasses all my influences and styles of music I like to play into one conglomorate,fusion, a blend that is totally unique,I feel I am truly on my way now.
I really enjoy playing all these different instruments, but don't want to make it a mess of just trying to play as many things as I can in each song.The songs really do dictate what gets played and where. It should be done in a way that lets each instrument be heard, on it's own but part of the song as well.
As of yet I have very few references to what I'm doing(especially being a solo artist)not that people aren't doing something similar with their own twist. I need some names of artist and bands!
So for now I'm going to keep pushing myself musically, which is really a metaphor for my life and keep putting it out int the universe for you to enjoya s well.

No comments:

Post a Comment