Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Year 2011

This year I have been so blessed to have been very busy in my musical career. I spent most of the time performing in Santa Fe with some out of town gigs as well. Such a change from last year. It seems as though the timing synched up with everything else going on in my life and I'm grateful for believing in myself and for the support I get from friends and family.

In January I continued my relationship with the Turquoise Council of Americans and Eurasians. They are a group promoting positive relations between Americans and people from Eurasia(Turkey and likewise places). Normally just playing for conventions is not the best gig, but I find these to be very important, socially and musically. I took the time to learn a few Turkish songs to play at these events and have had great reactions of appreciation from the Turkish people. They were kind enough to send me to Austin to play for their Friendship Reception there(all expenses paid)and then the next day for the same event here in Santa Fe. Whirlwind of a trip, but lots of fun. I also played for their Inter-Faith Conference in Albuquerque this fall. All important issues that I believe in, concerning people of America and the people from Eurasia and the Middle-East, being tolerant and knowledgeable about all our differences and similiarities.

I was also able to start playing in some of the better places in town. First I was recommended by a friend to play at the Silver Starlight Lounge at Rainbowvision. The lounge was a beautiful place to play with an actual stage and lighting. I enjoyed playing there and grew a nice fanbase with the residents there. I hope to go back once I have some new cds to offer up. Then, on whim, I went looking for gigs downtown and decided at the last minute to stop by the Ore House which overlooks the Santa Fe Plaza. It just so happened that the booking manager was in and was super cool and booked me for a gig right away. I ended up playing there quite a few times and was thrilled to be playing right downtown. Unfortunately a riff between the owner of the building and the owners of the restaurant ended with the closing of the Ore House and along with it my gig there. Oh well, things change and hopefully get better.

Just at the same time I decided to stop playing at Rainbowvision I was offered a chance to start performing at the Hotel St. Francis' restaurant- Tabla de los Santos. I had decided to start working on 2 new albums at this time, but I could not pass up the oppurtunity to play at the Hotel St. Francis. This was the place I had been looking for, right downtown, decent pay and regular gig. This was a great experience and I enjoyed the staff and thank Chef Estevan for hiring me to perform at his restaurant. As of right now, I am not playing there. It is the down time here and they got rid of all the entertainment for the season. I hope to be back in the spring of 2012.

I also got to play at the Plaza Vieja Gazebo in Old Town Albuquerque for Wild Card Wednesdays. A night where any style of music goes. The special part was opening for a group called Baraka Moon. A type of Sufi-infused style trance and overall great sounds. They were playing a warm-up show for their performance at Globalquerque! A world music festival held every year in September in Albuquerque. So along with all these shows I've made some good contacts for private house parties and did a few of those as well.

So there is no misunderstanding, I'm not mentioning all this to brag or anything. I want people to know what happened throughout this year and know I am so thankful to have had the oppurtunity to perform music, my own music, in so many places for so many people.

Over the course of the winter I hope to finish my next album and focus on writing and creating more music for people to enjoy. Also as next year approaches to continue my journey of places to play, music to learn, people to meet, lessons to be learned and peace, patience and presence in my everyday life. Hopefully I will in turn offer all these things through my music and my demeanor. I am so excited for what's to come and hope I can reach the people who are excited by my music and find the message I am trying to make with my music. Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment